Aviation Workforce Retention Grant to be Extended by Six Months to Continue Support for Aviation Companies and Workers
The Government will extend the Aviation Workforce Retention Grant (AWRG) by six months to help aviation companies preserve core capabilities and position for recovery.
2. Eligible companies will receive:
- 30% support of the first $4,600 of gross monthly wages paid to each local employee from October to December 2021; and
- 10% support of the first $4,600 of gross monthly wages paid to each local employee from January to March 2022.
The grant is expected to benefit over 100 companies in the aviation sector and will cost the Government about S$130 million.
3. COVID-19 has decimated air travel. After 20 months, the aviation sector remains amongst the hardest-hit of all economic sectors. As of September 2021, total passenger traffic movements at Changi Airport is at 3.6% of pre-COVID levels. Aviation companies have reduced their manpower to adjust to the decreased air travel activity.
4. Mr Han Kok Juan, Director-General of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said: “The aviation sector is seeing some green shoots of growth with the successful launch of the Vaccinated Travel Lane to Germany and Brunei and plans to extend it to other countries and regions. The extension of the Aviation Workforce Retention Grant will help aviation companies tide over this difficult time and retain and rebuild core capabilities to position for recovery.”
5. The AWRG was introduced in Budget 2021 as part of the OneAviation Support Package to provide targeted support for the aviation sector and safeguard Singapore’s position as an aviation hub.
6. In addition to wage support, companies in the aviation sector will continue to receive training support through the Enhanced Training Support Package, and cost relief as part of the OneAviation Support Package. Workers can also make use of the Singapore OneAviation Reskilling grant to undergo competency and reskilling training and enhance productivity.
7. CAAS will provide more information to eligible companies in due course.
For media queries, please contact email@example.com.